Painting on Paper With Oils

With the idea of less commitment, instead of a full fledged stretched canvas, I decided to try oil painting on paper. I'm happy about the feeling of freedom painting on paper gives, if it's trash I can just toss it out. 

What happens if the work is really good? What if it was a really nice, satisfying experience, and now it's on paper? 

©Dora Sislian Themelis, 8x8 oil on paper, Rooster in Patmos   Available

I like the idea of a sketchbook with paintings in it. I thought the nice sized Aquabee sketchbook I had would fit the bill. I painted straight on the paper and it felt comfortable. Then I thought I might gesso the paper, just for some stability, strength and texture.

Well, that was a bust.

This paper without gesso: ok. This paper with gesso: buckled.

Now what? 

Anyway, I was very pleased with the outcome of this work on paper. I was happy with the rendering of all the elements. I took time to place the paint in the areas I wanted to work on. The color mixing felt right. The paint worked nicely on the paper, not oily at all. 

Overall, painting on the paper was a good experience that I'd like to repeat. However, now I'm looking at the sketchbook thinking gesso may not be the answer to the surface issue. 

Maybe the paper is the issue?

An artist I follow has a wonderful sketchbook of oil painting on paper. I sent him a message asking what he uses for the paper that doesn't seem to buckle, but he hasn't responded. 

Time to investigate other avenues.


Comments