Lockdown and Fish in Patmos

As I was searching through some photos I swiped for my files, I came across this one of someone's catch of the day in our Greek island home of Patmos. 

They've had quite a hard year since the virus put everyone in lockdown, even the small, out of the way islands. On Patmos there were no locals who contracted it, but a couple of tourists, young people, did.

No matter, all the citizens of Greece were mandated to lockdown and stay in their homes.

Tourist season was a bust as a result. The guy who took this photo said, "There is no business, but at least we can still eat because we know how to fish.." Poor guy.

The arrangement of the shapes and the colors just gave me such a thrill, I knew I had to paint it.

©DoraSislianThemelis, 16x20 oil on stretched canvas, Fish in Patmos


There was just something interesting in this photo, the jumble of shapes, the open mouths of the fish against the background, and the colors! Must have been a great experience for the fisherman, too.


I've done a little more work on this since I finished the major work. Just a tweak here and there to define some shaping, but it's probably done at this point.

Here's looking at you, kid.



 

Comments