Painting the Figure Online

Global Painting Event ©Dora Sislian Themelis, 16x20 oil on canvas, Figure 


Recently I took the opportunity to participate in a figure painting class online using Zoom. Lucky me I had tried using that platform already so I knew what to expect, except I still had to maneuver my space so I could both see the instructor and have him see me.

It's a huge learning curve, but I was able to manage it.

The material list and the photo reference were sent out ahead of the actual date, with instructions how to attend on the Zoom thing. Yes, I called it a "thing."

I set out my paints, prepped the canvas I was using, had my brushes ready, as well as my iPad propped up on a stool at the right angel. At the appropriate time I logged on and Poof! there was the instructor.

Charles Miano, the instructor at his Southern Atelier in Florida, has a lovely realistic style of oil painting, very old school use of paint and medium. He does all his color mixing on the canvas rather then on the palette. And he uses smooth brush strokes to get an even application of the paint on the subject. I really enjoyed the class.

Hundreds of other artists joined the Global Painting Event online from all over the world. Just very exciting to participate in such a great class, learn some new things, get critique and enjoy the process. The finished work was pleasing to me as well.


Comments