Itchy for a Getaway to Somewhere

Did you ever get that itchy feeling you want to do something, but not sure what that something is? Go somewhere, see something, enjoy the scenery..something?

There is something about a free day, with a warm sun that says "get going somewhere" to me.

Lately it's been a wonderful habit of mine to run down to the beach when I get that getaway feeling. So what that it's September, or October. Just me, my chair, a book, food, iced coffee, and my travel watercolor paint set. If I wait too long to decide, like by 1PM, I might not bother. Even noon could be too late for me. I like to go, spend an hour or so and return.

Then there's the other people. If I tell someone I feel like going to the beach they might say something that makes me think it's not a good idea. I think it's great, others think it's weird. Some others like it.

Eisenhower Park, Westbury, NY
Well, I say it's my time to recharge, re-motivate, reinvigorate, have an hour vacation, and possibly paint. So, what's the problem?

Maybe people think it's kind of anti-social to want to be alone. I think it's my time and I need to spend it in a place out in nature that makes me feel good, and helps my art brain to shut up and be quiet. No big thing to it.

Last week, with a clear sky above and the hot sun feeling really good on my face, I wanted to jump in the car and head to the beach. But. All those "buts" started coming my way. The time was passing, I wasn't ready, and I started feeling funny about bothering. Should I go? Should I stay?

Back and forth I tossed the thought around in my head. If I go, should I wear clothes or will I be boiling? Wear a bathing suit, or will I be freezing?

At the Park @2012 Dora Sislian Themelis
5x7 Watercolor, Canson paper
When I finally decided I had to go somewhere and stop thinking so much, it was even closer than the beach, to Eisenhower Park. It has wide open spaces where I could plop myself in my chair and do the same things I would if I was at the beach, minus the bathing suit.

And man, was it hot. So hot, I thought I should've just gone to the beach, in my bathing suit.


Comments