New Finished Watercolor Painting

Yes, friends, another watercolor painting is off the block. And it's a happy day. 

Sunburst ©2012 Dora Sislian Themelis
14x20 Watercolor, Arches 140lb cold press
Let me tell you what I'm not sure about. I'm not thrilled with my photo taking skills. I have tried bright natural light, and sometimes it's too much light. 

Then I tried softer daylight, with a sheer curtain, still no good. Today I took this photo with the flash on, all quite by accident, and it's not all that bad. I think I lost some color in there somewhere, but the photo without flash was dull. Am I going to need to take a course, or what? 

Almost finished photo, no flash, bright desk lamp
A photographer at the art event asked me if I knew how to take photos of my work by zooming in on the painting first. Yes, I knew that, but I should've asked more questions. Better yet, I should have asked him to take the photos. I wonder if that would be a good idea? Next time, my brain needs to work faster.

This might be the only work I get done this week. Our big, fat Greek festival is happening this weekend, and you know what that means? Craziness. I'll try to update you.

Comments

  1. Love the painting. I get the same problem photographing, mind you I do only have a cheapy camera Finepix Z90 so definitely not fancy. It often takes me several goes to get a half decent pic for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Dora! I usually think natural light works best, but am definitely no expert! Sometimes, it is just easier to scan the painting and let the scanner worry about the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the painting would fit on the scanner, unless it's a really big one!

      Delete
  3. Hey, Dora-
    My scanner is fair size (Epson 10000xl)- but I can scan larger paintings in parts (half at a time) then use a program like Double Take that merges the scans. I've scanned my 18 X24's that way.
    Anyway, beautiful work, and I like both photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment