Sketching with Crayolas

Crayola crayons portrait practice

Back before this virus craziness, in the days of babysitting grandkids, I would get out the art supplies and have the kids doodle. While they doodled, I would use the time to sketch them on the sneak.

What better time to get some portrait practice in! They would be very involved in their drawings, sitting somewhat still while I sketched them with the same Crayola crayons they were using. No artist's supplies, just Crayola crayons.

You have no idea how much freedom in the work when using crayons. It's simply amazing.

Just like the kids, who just pick up a color and get to work drawing pink leaves on a blue tree, I too felt free to grab whichever crayon was nearby and use it. Blue faces, green shadows, yellow hair, who cares? They'd take the crayon I was just working with and I'd pick up another color to use.

Freedom!

Crayola crayon figure drawing practice

And even figure sketching practice went well with the crayons. On the floor doodling, playing with cars, rolling a ball, perfect for me to capture the moment with quick gesture drawings. Once I was comfortable with one view I did a little more work defining the shapes and shadows. Done!

Crayola crayons are an underrated art making tool.


Comments