It's Not You, It's Me

Welcome to the wonderful world of Resistance, where it's all your fault. No, it has absolutely nothing to do with me, of course.

Ahem. 

Mid-Morning ©Dora Sislian Themelis, Watercolor on Canson paper


RESISTANCE IS INTERNAL
Resistance seems to come from outside outselves. We locate it in spouses, jobs, bosses, kids. 'Peripheral opponents,' as Pat Riley used to say when he coached the Los Angeles Lakers.
Resistance is not a peripheral opponent. Resistance arises from within. It is self-generated and self-perpetuated.
Resistance is the enemy within.                                  

Steven Pressfield, The War of Art
 
Well, obviously, it's about me, us, the artist, the whoever wants to get anything important done. I know this all too well. It's the old story where we blame everything under the sun as to why things don't happen: the laundry, the kids, housework, the garden. I'm sure you can think up quite a few others.

Busy is the code word for Resistance. And it's interesting how 'busy' we can get when we're supposed to be working.

As I go along in this life I think the side of me that hates having Mr. Resistance over stay his not-so-welcome welcome is gaining the upper hand. "His" visits have become shorter.

Right now I'm blaming my none painting on mat board. Yes, that's right, mat board, or my lack thereof. If I had more mat board I could finish matting the paintings I have waiting and clear my desk so I could paint.

Yeah, right.

Comments

  1. I love how you say what a lot of artists are thinking! I believe a lot of us don't get work done in the name of being busy!

    Love the watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I love it that you comment! Thank you for that. And for the compliment.

      Delete

Post a Comment