Painting is a Journey

When I began my watercolor journey I really just wanted to find out how to manipulate the paints. Process first and foremost. 

After a while of trial, and much error, I turned to working with photos of my own and from travel books. It was a virtual vacation in a sense, while mastering a new medium. 

Admittedly, there is a fear factor there. After painting for a long time in oil paints, watercolor was like being dropped in a dense forest with no compass, and the sun is hiding behind the clouds. Lost.
My thought was this: would I ever learn to make watercolor do what I wanted it to do?

A different style of work..
There is always something new to learn, no matter what the subject. So, okay, this watercolor thing is a challenge I haven't seemed to get bored of yet. I've moved back and forth in my painting journey, from photos to live work, to photos.

Keeping it fresh, interesting and working in the process. It continues.

Looking back at these paintings I can see how far I've come along in style and subject. These scenes stir something in me when I look at them, but there isn't that tug on my creative brain to go here right now. Maybe the next time I am in these places I'll feel like painting like this.

When will that be? No clue.

The opportunity to participate in a low-key, casual, community based venue has come up and it just might be time to let go.




Comments

Post a Comment