The Shell Has Company!

Shell Has Company 7x10 Watercolor on Arches paper
©2011 Dora Sislian Themelis
Isn't it nice that my beach shell has found itself in another painting with company? I don't know what it is about that shell that I seem to paint it so often.

Maybe it reminds me of the day at the beach when I found it? Maybe it's because of the little bit of seaweed that clings to the underside? Is it because it's cracked?

Then there's the apple. I'm intrigued by the different colors I find in every apple I paint. The veggie share gave me this pumpkin-type thing. I like the color of it.

Whatever pulls me, I must oblige.

I had planned to paint this still life set up larger, but guess what? No paper! The small Arches block I was saving to take with me on painting excursions was ready and waiting, so that's what I used instead. A trip to the art supply store will have to happen sooner rather than later.

Twenty minutes of painting this and I was finished. Damp brush, not a lot of water, and sketching is possible. I used two brushes, a medium large round and a small outline type brush, to paint with. We all have many different brushes, but lately it's been these two. Funny how we can pare down to get the most out of a minimum of items to work with.

It's like having a closet full of clothes, and I only wear the same ten or so items all the time.

The same thing with painting. All the colors on the palette and I keep using the same five colors, and these two brushes.

Anyway, I painted. It's a reason to cheer! Except I won't because I never know when Mr. Resistance will turn the corner. Shhhhhh.

Comments

Post a Comment