Vegetable Share Haul



The vegetable share has been interesting. Every time I pick up my share there's new and different items to try. Things I never saw before and things I'd heard of but had no idea what to do with.

This last pick up had more familiar fruits and vegetables: peaches, yellow zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce, a couple of ears of corn, a couple of carrots, different colors of long thin peppers, a small yellow mellon, eggs and flowers.

I am not so sure it's all been top notch. Yes it's straight from the farm and I guess that's the main idea, but if I was choosing my produce I would have chosen better. One ear of corn was half eaten by some animal, the tomatoes were over ripe, as were the peaches. Tasty, but over ripe. The two carrots were huge, as if they were left in the ground a little too long, forgotten maybe.

When I had a small vegetable patch I carefully watched for ripening. I know, this is from a cooperative farm, not my own backyard garden. I get what they grow, etc.

My tomato plants were not very productive this year, neither were the cucumbers, or the peppers. The backyard garden is all shade now that the trees on the property line have ground so tall. There is a little patch of hot sun, but it fades by 1PM. The front garden however, is all sun all day. I am growing some things in pots, but it's not ideal.

Next year I may give up more front yard to vegetables rather than all flowers. Might also be interesting.

Comments