Some Time in the Morning

While my granddaughter was fast asleep after her bottle this morning, I headed to my watercolor paints at the dining room table. Like I have mentioned before, the light from the window at this spot is great. Even thought it's a rainy, windy morning the light is still good, north facing light.  The basement studio hasn't seen any action in a while because it's easier to keep an eye on my charge if I paint nearby.  I set up the usual suspects and painted for twenty minutes.

I haven't had the chance to get a smaller block of paper for these quick works so, as suggested by a fellow artist and blogger friend Pat, I cut larger paper down to the size I need. The way I paint, the bigger the paper, the bigger I go so I have to pencil in a dot to limit the area.


The paper I am using is Arches. The small notebook was Canson, and I'm noticing a difference. The Arches paper block stays wet longer, not so the Canson notebook pages.  I'm also finding that I can't paint as fast with the Arches because it's still wet when I want to add color and then it gets muddy.  I have to pay attention.  Learning how to use the tools is part of the process, so it's all good.

This is how the painting looks after twenty minutes. It's not exactly how I'd like it to be so later on, if I get the chance, I will go back to clean it up.

Mid-Morning (c)2010 DST  8x10 Watercolor
On impulse yesterday, I purchased a 10 pack of small stretched canvas for almost no money at, gasp, Michael's Crafts.  I do hope there will be some oil painting in my future, meaning this winter.  How does twenty minutes of oil painting sound? Can it be done with any success?  Can I do it with a modicum of success?  I guess I will have to try it and see.

Comments

  1. Beautiful painting, very close to life size. I tried a watercolor the other day and not knowing I was supposed to wait for it to dry I used a heat gun. It worked fine and I suggest it if you feel impatient. I just use the little ones you get at Michaels in the stamping section. It turned out pretty good although it took me way longer than 20 minutes. I can't even imagine getting one done in that short amout of time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use a hair dryer to speed up the drying - or not so much water :)
    Be aware if you pick the hair dryer option, it could change the way the paint dries - granulation specifically.
    Look forward to seeing this when you're done xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ideas! I never thought of using a heat gun or a hair dryer to speed up the drying. Pat, I didn't know it could change the paint. I think I need to watch the amount of water I use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dora,
    So beautiful and very sensitive work. Please keep up!
    Kind regards, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sadami! I am trying hard to keep painting things or I will get overwhelmed by all my errands and forget. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment