Pomp and Circumstance

No photos for Friday this time!  And I don't have alot of time to yap either.  Today my youngest son is graduating from college and you can't imagine how proud we are of him.  We are expected to be at his campus early today for the Commencement ceremony and the handing out of the degrees.  The program ends later this afternoon after which we are all going out for a celebratory dinner.  I'm bringing a banana because who knows when I'll get to eat something!  I'm famous for bringing bananas everywhere.  Why not?  They're neat, portable and tasty!  What's not to like?

Son #2 had learning disabilities, namely auditory processing disorders that hampered his language learning skills.  He's really smart and when he was little, look out if he saw us do something, he'd be able to do the same thing.  He didn't get facial clues, couldn't focus, tried so hard to tell us things, had his own words, and took euphemisms literally like "I have butterflies in my stomach", he thought you meant it for real!  He was labeled learning disabled in kindergarten after a horrible six months with a real witch for a teacher, I'm not kidding either.  School administrators and the teacher wanted him on Ritalin, which does nothing for auditory processing issues, to which I said No Way.  I wasn't popular with them to say the least.  I had to become his advocate and fight for him.  They moved him into a small class with physically disabled kids, which was no fun for me, or him.  But that's what was available and I must say it helped slow down the pressure and put a cap on his frustration.

By the time he moved up to middle school he was mainstreamed.  By high school he was on his own and doing excellent work independently.  He applied and was accepted to a couple of colleges in our area.   When he was in kindergarten the principal told me not to worry, while I was in tears, that most kids do very well and go to college.  I didn't believe her, but here we are ready to attend that graduation!

He is graduating with a degree in Health Care and Public Management, whatever that is.  Monday is his first day at a job in his field.  We're thrilled and excited for him and wish him the best of everything life has to offer.  It's been an amazing ride!

Comments

  1. Congrats on that Dora, that is a fantastic story and I am happy for you and him, what an accomplishment! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eileen, it was an emotional and beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your son - and to you!
    Glad you had a beautiful day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment