Finish Something...Tomorrow

Since I went on hiatus for the Easter holiday I haven't been able to start a new project.  Here and there I found some time to knit at least.  And even that has been hit and miss.  I was excited when I bought Arches watercolor paper to try, but I'm looking for the next thing to paint so I can work with it.  Nah!  Resistance is peeking at me from around the corner, again.  A tough cookie, that resistance.

Yesterday I went to my studio just to look at it.  I decided to rearrange my desk and worktable, again.  Flopping the areas to be a little more Feng Shui this time.  I don't like working with my back to the door, but then I like being able to see out the window too.  Having my back to the door felt worse than not seeing outside so I moved my desk.  Now if someone is coming toward my space I'm aware.  My table is under the window and that felt comfortable.  That darn light has been out now for a couple of weeks.  Watch when I get someone in to fix it, it will light up!  The light and I have a love/hate relationship. 


Before, light on


After, light off (darn light)

Something about rearranging the space made me feel good.  I know I've said it before, but it's true that cleaning and straightening gets the creativity going.  I don't know why, but it does.  So I'm feelilng kind of good about doing some painting again.

I read Week 7 in Walking in This World this week and it made me feel like I was on the right track.  The last section in Discovering a Sense of Momentum was entitled Finish Something.  Don't we all have half done things hanging around?  At least I do. 

Whether it's photos that need to be in a book, or artwork left undone, there's always something that needs finishing.  The author, Julia Cameron, writes that to keep the creativity flowing we need to finish things we've left off. 

It can be as mundane as cleaning the medicine cabinet or straightening up a room.  She calls it a small pat on the back and a shove forward to moving our creative energy along.  Mend the socks.  Hang the curtains you bought.  Sort your CD collection.  Those things half done help us to drag our feet.  Finish things and the universe increases our efforts behind our back. 

I have been trying to get that studio in order since I carved out that space for myself.  Reading this chapter gave me the incentive to keep going.  I planned to visit IKEA for some much needed storage for the studio.  With the push from rearranging the room the day has come and it's...tomorrow!  Today is just too busy with some other things I need to do.  But tomorrow is D-Day and I'm really excited about it.

The chapter ends with this: "Finish something-anything!..It's an inner order: 'Now, start something' finishing something says."  Here I go!

Comments