Taking a Break to Knit


Sometimes when there are too many things going on at once I find it's hard to slow down.  My to-do list has a to-do list!

The cherry blossoms watercolor painting is moving along smoothly and I've been finding time to get to it almost every day.  I'm afraid I'll over-work it, as I'm known to do.  If that happens there's no going back.  Watercolors are not very forgiving and things could get ugly real fast.

What do I turn to?  Knitting!  Yes, that's right, on with the next project!  Like I don't have enough things going on. 

Knitting is something you do sitting down.  I've knitted standing up, but it's not that comfortable and sometimes the stitches are uneven.  When I have some free time or after dinner in my cozy spot, I sit and I knit.  I started this particular pair of socks on the plane on my trip to Florida in November. 

Sock knitting is addictive.  Once you learn to knit socks you can't stop.  I have three pairs going on at once.  If I get bored with one color of socks I move on to another.  Just thinking about knitting on those socks makes me itchy.  It's a close second to painting, I'll say that.  Knitters talk about "the second sock syndrome", but not me.  If I have three sets in the works I don't get bored enough to give up on knitting up the second sock of the pair. 

Lately I've been getting allergy shots and this sock knitting is my companion.  Once a week I let them stab me with needles and I wait twenty minutes to see if I'll have a reaction.  I mosey on to the waiting room and get cozy with my knitting.  It's a blissful twenty minutes.  The thing is, I'm forced to occupy myself for that time.  I'm not home to do laundry, run errands, paint, I've got to sit there and wait.  People come and go, there I sit knitting.  I'm embarrassed to say I've been so involved in my sock that I've knitted way past the time I should be there. 

Knitting, along with painting, is always on the to-do list.


Comments