Gouache in the New Year


 It's a new year and we're still here. Grateful for the moments of peace in the studio space with my work.

As I've been painting with oils the work has slowed. Oil paints need time to dry, and in that time my old friend Mr. Resistance has visited more often than I'd like. It seems he shows up in the time of the day I would usually visit the studio. May I remind you my art space is in my house, but it's hard to get there.

Funny, but true.

Meanwhile the work awaits my arrival every day. Well, where am I going anyway? The lockdown is not really happening, although most people are limiting where they go and for how long they do. It's easier just to stay in, and for me the work is at home.

©Dora Sislian Themelis Gouache on Fabriano paper

I remembered that I entered the annual Twitter Art Exhibit, which sells small donated artworks for charity.

It's a small project, postcard sized work, and it could be quick, if I could push past Mr. Resistance to get it done.

Deciding to look through my photos to find a pleasant scene of some sort, I spied this summer's beach visits. I took a few nice photos of the beach grass and dunes. Ideas and inspiration came to me so I got out the gouache paints, watercolor paper, penciled in the scene, and got to it.

©Dora Sislian Themelis 4x6 gouache on paper,  Beach Day

Small and satisfying work. Gouche has become a good medium for me to use. I really like it's velvety texture. Water medium that it is, it's more like acrylic, and I use it like oils. Perfect.

The Twitter Art Exhibit is being held in the United Kingdom this year in May, but the mail has been awfully slow lately. Soon I will pack this up and get it out.

And now, back to the oils..


Comments