Lost My Site But Painting Continues

©DoraSislianThemelis, 8x10 oil on paper, Peony


So, apparently, I've lost my other blog/website. What a pain! 

Remember when I said, a long time ago, that computers were annoyingly hard to get along with? 

Well, did I learn a lot about that very idea. Updating some backend thing because of something called "old code" and then POOF! it was gone. A snap of the finger, or rather, the stroke of a key and the last few sparse posts vanished.

Sadly, when I migrated posts to the new Wordpress site, many of you didn't follow. I could see the read count drop to nil. It's ok, blogging was becoming less popular for a time. My own blog reading had waned as podcasts, emails, iPhones, etc became more popular.

However, painting did not stop. Coronavirus or not, art kept happening. Posting, maybe not, but art? Yes!

I've explored gouache, gone back to oil paints, sketched in conte crayon and lately I am eyeing oil pastel. 

This glorious floral is oil paint on, of all things new, Arches oil paper, with the idea of a low commitment factor. I was wrong once again. 

It's smaller size defies the punch this subject gave me once I was finished answering the questions in the shapes, colors, brush strokes, and composition. With a tip from another online artist, I washed the surface of the paper with walnut oil and thinner, then went in with sketching in paint. A few sessions and I was pleased with all I learned in the process. The pleasant outcome was a plus!

I'm glad to be posting. It's been a struggle. To everyone reading, I hope you are all well in this craziness. Virtual hugs to all with positive energy for good things ahead, despite exasperating computers.


Comments