Art in the Time of Corona

©Dora Sislian Themelis, 18x24 oil on canvas, Patmos Monastery

As the new COVID-19 continues to wreak havoc all over the world, I hunker down here at home like everyone else. Luckily for me my art studio is a few steps downstair in my basement where I've been holed up painting. And so this series of work is the "Art in the time of Corona."

Staying home, I have been painting every day. Trying to adhere to some kind of routine, the mornings have been for office/computer/house stuff, the afternoons are for artwork. Lost for hours in my process, painting is my mindfulness practice, self-care if you will. Time means nothing when I'm working, which is good at this corona virus time.

This monastery courtyard on our Greek island of Patmos, was in the process, but I had left it to experiment with other mediums and views. Since the shelter in place, I decided to revisit it. Every day a little more work, and some days I worked on something else as a distraction. This painting had many facets of questions to answer in colors, shapes and mood.

Happily, I finished it. Pleased with the outcome, it's the process that was important, the handling of the brush with paint to develop the vision.

Stay safe out there everyone!





Comments