A Day on the North Shore of Long Island

The weather here in New York is hot, hot, hot!  It's only June.  I'm not complaining about the heat, no way.  I'll take it hot any day.  You know what kind of winter we get here?  It's not fun, for me anyway.  I can't seem to get myself warm enough in the winter.  When the summer rolls around and everyone is dragging and complaining about the heat, I'm all smiles.  Yes to summer weather, every time.

So I won't be painting in the heat of mid-day.  I've been waiting until the sun starts going down in the afternoon.  I wish I could get myself out there in the early morning, but there's too much to do in the morning around here.  I like how the light looks very early in the day.  Anyway, forget it.  I have to get my things done early, get out and be back by lunch time.  Then the rest of the day is mine.

(c)2010 Dora Sislian Themelis

The Mr. was home on Sunday, rather than fishing out east.  He suggested visiting a custom car show that a friend mentioned, nearby in Glen Cove .  That's the other mania: cars.  Drag racing is in the blood.  The Mr. and the Sons watch it on TV, talk about it, go to sanctioned events, and had/have cars they're developing.  Car people just want to look at and talk about cars, a very benign bunch.  All cars, all the time.  Ok, so I don't mind it either.  Unless my guys want to spend money on car parts, then I get crabby.

(c)2010 Dora Sislian Themelis

(c)2010 Dora Sislian Themelis

The car show was at a lovely shore-side park called Morgan Park, on the north shore of Long Island, so the setting was lovely.  A band was playing, food and cold drinks were available, some vendors selling car stuff, and cars.  Parked all over the private park were all kinds of cars as far as the eye could see.  Old cars and new cars of every model, shape, size you could think of.  Over the sea of shiny waxed, colorful cars and chrome, was the blue of Long Island Sound.  Boats bobbed in the calm water.  The sky was clear with puffy clouds and the water sparkled.  Great!  I love being near water so I could ignore the cars.  (Except for the 1963 Buick Riviera I saw, one of my pop's favorites.  Hi Pop!)

(c)2010 Dora Sislian Themelis

(c)2010 Dora Sislian Themelis

The park was very pretty and had walking paths along the shore with this lovely, stone pergola at the end where people were fishing.  Another park and museum near this one is Garvie's Point which houses Native American artifacts and such.  The area is a great place to draw or paint.  Seeing the signs on the road pointing to Garvie's Point I thought I'm going to have to visit alone one day this summer and make it an Artist's Date. 

Good idea.

Comments

  1. I was out at Morgan Park about this time last year. Also visited the nearby Garvies Preserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never been to Morgan Park and it was really nice to visit. I haven't been to Garvie's Point since I was in high school and we went there on a trip. Thanks so much for commenting Matthew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a few paintings in those photos, Dora :)
    Get swishing, bright and early :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, you and I are thinking the same things! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment