Done with the Course, on with the Process

I've finally closed the book, so to speak, on The Artist's Way.  I re-read the last chapter, answered the Week 12 questions and the tasks, and did the check-in.  It's been a great motivator and there are things I did during the course that I believe I will continue to do for a long time. 

The three pages of free thought journaling every morning will definately stay.  It's been wonderful to write down the stupid things I think I do, how dopey I think I might be, and be done with it.  And the artist's date is a must-do, whether it's an hour or a whole day thing.  Anything I can do to keep the creativity coming. 

Just showing up at my desk with no agenda has allowed all kinds of ideas to flow.  Once I'm there I start thinking about something and suddenly I find myself painting for hours, where I had no intention to do so.

The Artist's Way has allowed me to be creative in whatever medium I feel like using at the moment.  If I knit I don't feel guilty that I didn't paint.  I know I'm  "doing" anyway.  I'm more comfortable knowing it's the process not the outcome.  Show up and do, rather than think about it and don't.



So the last few days have been a little hectic and I didn't get to paint.  Besides, the light in my studio keeps shutting off for some reason and it's caused me to avoid the space.  I hate sitting at my desk in the middle of something and the light shuts off.  I'll have to get that fixed, but in the meantime I was knitting.  I finished another pair of socks for the online shop, worked a pair for a gift, and started another.  While I knit I think of colors, shapes, textures, ideas, designs, it's great.  Knitting was a mini artist's date with myself and the process of creating.  It's a must.

Comments